Saturday, April 25, 2009

Home is where the heart is

After being out of India for more than two years I finally see a glimmer of hope that I will be heading back soon. Dont get me wrong, the stay abroad has been very ahem.. rewarding.. but more than that, it has shaped a lot of my present and my future.
On a personal front, I have made new friends, seen new places, learnt new things and more importantly have found the time to read more on Quantum mechanics.. something which could never find the time for in India.
On the professional front, the job has been great, people have been great and I have nothing but good memories which I gather is a rather fortunate occurence. I love the work culture in the US.. not all aspects but atleast the part about doing the job from 9 -5 sincerely. What I dont like is the taboo around socializing in office ( I dont mean going after females). For us, our social circle extends well into our professional life but not so much here. It has its pros and cons, the plus side of this segregation is increased productivity as no one is spending time in office discussing anything apart from work, the downside.. well the work place is not as "fun". I fancy myself as someone who is usually a quick worker so I think that 8 hours a day is more than enough to do your work as well as catch up with friends.. apparently the girl who chased me out of her cubicle thought otherwise :-)

All in all, India is awesome, the heat, the dust and the general "chalta hai" attitude. Well thats how I like it and I cant wait to be back and be a part of it all. Besides, I bought a flat recently and never in my life have I appreciated money like I do now. Its amazing how much blood you need to burn to get a roof over your head.. well hope its gonna be worth it.
Home is truly where the heart or the bank loan is :-)

1 comment:

Adarsha said...

Well.. All the Best man.. you are becoming sentimental day by day..

Btw publishing your blog at 3PM on a working day (as well as reading it at 2:49PM on a working day) are not part of US work culture, right?
Or is it because both of us are quick workers :)