Saturday, May 2, 2009

Shaddi ka Photographer

Of late I have earned the distinction of being a "Shaddi ka Photographer" due to my habit of dragging my camera along for seemingly trivial occasions. It is time I justify the habit.

I have never been a very emotional person ( at least externally), I do get pretty riled up sometimes but over the years I have learnt to hold back my emotions as I have learnt that shortcircuting my brain is not a viable option. Flashback!! My last day in school was the day when almost all the girls and some of the effeminate guys were in tears. I felt no such all encompassing pain for some reason and was rather bemused by people getting their shirts filled with signatures and crying like the Titanic just sank.. hilarious. There were many people who had brought cameras and were taking photographs, I was the least interested and spent most of the time actually taking the snaps rather than trying to be in them. It has been 12 years since that time has passed and I can safely say that I am still in contact with most of my classmates as compared to the camera wielding friends. However, when I look at the pictures that were taken then and find everyone else there but not me it somehow bothers me.. it is as if history has somehow forgotten my existence.

I have spent many a wonderful time with my family in fairy tale like settings in Arunachal, Sohra and other off the map locations. These were places that were hard to reach but once there it was hard to complain about the nerve wrecking journey. I have seen crystal clear rivers, enchanting wildlife, majestic mountains and all at an arms length away. The images are etched in my heart but I have no photograph to share. Is it selfish to hide away such a wondrous part of planet Earth in my mind? I have no option, my literary abilities cannot do justice to the imagery in my mind.

Now I am young and my mind vivid. I can feel the past and sense the passion that I had felt even a long time ago but I know it will not last. How will I savor the past a few years down the line? How will I tell people about the things I have seen, the people I have met when I have nothing but words. In todays modern world, visual imagery is everything, a picture speaks a thousand words. A photo of a small gathering of friends, a video of a thing as stupid as watching the clock set back an hour when DST is applied, a colleagues birthday... all insignificant by themselves but they are an undeniable part of my life and I choose to honor every moment. So yes, I am a "Shaddi ka Photographer" and I carry my camera around. I am not a photographer, I dont know the angles and the light and shadow effects.. I know the people, I know the place, I know myself and I know that every photo I take is a slice of time that I save for posterity.

2 comments:

Harsha S Rao said...

Awesome post...

Sunny said...

I really like this post of yours , pretty personal and a glimpse of the real you :) definitely makes sense , those tear shedding ceremonies back in school seemed like mass evangelism or something , I fully agree that you have been in tocuh with most of your class mates , unlike the two faced ass holes who claimed that the class belonged to them .... Kudos :)